Many people often love friendly dogs. Every dog owner or pet lover wants a friendly type of dog.
It requires understanding, love, care, and proper attention for dogs if you wish to have one at home.
What are the Breeds of Small Dogs Who are People Friendly?
If you wish to know different types of compassionate and people-friendly dogs, this article will bring you to the various dog breeds you can find elsewhere.
Take a glimpse at the following lists of some of the small dog breeds that are people-friendly. Get to know them well and see which is the friendliest of them all.
- Bedlington Terrier dogs: These dog types are very energetic, alert, and intelligent. They enjoy being the center of attention and like to entertain people around them.
- Boston Terrier dogs: These dog types are also known as the American Gentleman breeds. They are smart, lively, and affectionate dog breeds. They are also gentle, especially in dealing with people around them.
- Bichon Frise: This dog looks cheerful and wants to be loved by many people. Bichon Frise dogs have similar characteristics to Bedlington Terriers, who enjoy so much when people attend to them.
- Cavalier King Charles Spaniel –He loves to be taken care of. He is always eager to meet people and new acquaintances.
- Norfolk Terrier: Though small, this dog is very lively and alert.
- Chinese Crested: He is known to be happy and alert. You better expect kisses from this dog. He would surely give you lots of snuggle time on your lap.
- Coton de Tulear: He wants to spend a lot of time with people. He easily develops a strong bond with family members. He is like a family.
- Low Chen – This kind of dog is such a gentle one who is lively. He is intelligent as well, for he learns easily and quickly.
- Havanese: He is a gentle dog who likes human companionship.
- Cockapoo: He is also intelligent, just like many breeds of dogs mentioned above. Another thing about this dog is that he is easy to be pleased by people around him. He is happy and friendly.
- Maltipoo: He is a fun-loving dog who easily gets along well with people around him. He is fond of staying beside and walking with the owner.
These dogs are just some of the small dogs that are people-friendly.
You can still find other small types of dogs that will be suitable for you and your household.
What do You Need to Know about Small Dogs?
Having small dogs has benefits aside from it is portable. They occupy only a small space, and they are very friendly.
However, taking care of small dogs is also challenging on the part of the owner.
There is a need for enough exercise, a proper diet, and of course, appropriate training for them.
Here are some of the ideas for you to consider in taking care of small dogs.
- Nutritional needs: Small breed puppies have a higher rate of metabolism than larger dogs. Therefore, they need to be fed three to four times a day. It is also advisable that you measure the food you give to your dogs to ensure that they don’t eat too much, resulting in obesity. Through measuring their food, it allows you to monitor how much they eat all day.
- Proper exercise: Small dogs also need exercise. A long walk can be good for them.
- Socialization: As young as they are, puppies should be socialized early. It helps them to be with different people and to avoid fears in making friends.
- Training: As a child, dogs should also be trained on how to deal with other people. It would be nice if they would behave properly, especially in greeting strangers. How they respond to any situation should be gentle and consistent.
- Accessories: Small dogs should also have small accessories. When you shop for these small dogs, consider their size to provide them the comfort they want.
With all the ideas mentioned, you should give attention to precautions for these small dogs. Their bones are also small, and these should require extra care.
How to Train Small Dogs to be Friendly?
Emphasizing having a friendly dog, you should know how to make them nice with new acquaintances and strangers.
It is good to know that small dogs can easily be trained because they have the ability to learn quickly and have more retention.
They try to please their owner by being obedient to them. This time, try to consider the following tips in training small dogs to be friendly.
- Be patient: Remember that all dogs can be trained. It is just a matter of patience and giving them enough time to learn things. In the long run, your efforts will be worth it when you see the results in them.
- Be committed: Your commitment to giving part of your time to them would mean a lot. Dogs love companionship. When they can feel that you cared for them, they will also show care and affection to you. Provide them with proper training of having good manners. Having disciplined dogs at home will make them easier to gain friends and acquaintances anywhere. They will be loved by many if they are friendly dogs.
- Show respect: Dogs are like humans. They also have feelings and emotions to handle. Learn how to respect their needs as well as their preferences. Do not force them to learn things at once or do things that they do not want. Instead, train them to be obedient and gentle all the time.
- Be a protector – There maybe threats or unwanted attention around them. But be ready to protect your dog from them. They also need security from their owners.
- Have fun: Enjoying your time with your dog is a good bonding time. With this, you will get to know more about your dog.
- Have daily walks – Take out your dogs to any public place such as a park. They will get used to seeing people around them, and they will be comfortable being with other people. This will lessen their fear and thus, creating a comfortable world for them.
- Be timely: Start training your dogs to socialize between 3 and 12 weeks old. As young as they are, they should be exposed to unfamiliar people, unfamiliar dress such as hoods, jackets, etc., body handling, urban environments, parks, vehicles, neighborhoods, cats, and other dogs of the same and different kinds. Training your dog beyond 18 weeks of age is quite difficult for them to socialize.
- Be a reader: Find time to read more about dogs. Through reading, you will have a better understanding of dogs, and you will find it less difficult to take care of dogs. Books on puppy socialization are a good choice. Pets wellness can also be a good topic for you to learn to take care of your dog’s health.
With these tips and considerations that were mentioned above, you can train your small dogs to become friendly to other people.
Just provide them proper training, and they will surely grow with discipline.
How to Choose Dog Breeds with Good Personality?
Dog lovers usually talk about different breeds that they have at home.
Others will surely boast that their pet dog is the best for them. But how can you choose dog breeds with a good personality?
Just like humans, we prefer those with a good personality and the right attitude.
In choosing dogs for your household, for sure, you also have your standards.
Here are some tips for you to consider in choosing dog breeds with a good personality, especially those who are people-friendly. Some of them may also be suitable for your personality.
- Hardworking and curious – The breeds of dogs that match these personality types are the Chinese Crested, Pekingese, Boston Terrier, Japanese Chin, Shih Tzu, Tibetan Spaniel, or Bull Terrier.
- Helpful and Giver – German Shephard, Bolognese, Dutch Shephard, Belgian Sheepdog, Maltese, or Bichon Frise are ideal for these qualities. They love to volunteer themselves, especially in helping others.
- Adaptable and ambitious – These types of dogs are like Basset Hound, Rhodesian Ridgeback, English Foxhound, Beagle, Harrier, or the Brussels Griffon. They are optimistic and such an achiever. They are also adventurous and curious.
- Intelligent and investigative – These dogs are smart and usually enjoy the companionship of those they trust.
- Loyal and faithful – These are kinds of good-natured dogs such as the Alaskan Malamute, Samoyed, Siberian Husky, Pug, Greyhound, Akita, or the Chinook.
- Enthusiastic and adventurous – They are also playful, smart, curious, and always happy. Typical examples of these dogs are Pembroke Welsh Corgi, Pomeranian, Dachshund, Cardigan Welsh Corgi, or Teddy Roosevelt Terrier. They enjoy many new experiences and with so much energy.
- Challenging and truth-seeking: These dogs are born leaders. They are confident, intelligent, but also warm and playful dogs. They are the Tibetan Terrier, Tibetan Spaniel, Tibetan Mastiff, Papillon, Mastiff, Labrador Retriever, or Maltese.
- Peaceful – Golden Retriever has this quality. They are also charismatic, passionate, loyal as well as loving. Other dogs with these qualities are the Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retriever, Cocker Spaniel, Curly-Coated Retriever, Cavalier King Charles Spaniel, Chesapeake Bay Retriever, Labrador Retriever, or the Flat-coated Retriever.
Many dog lovers frequently prefer People-friendly small dogs. However, many dogs are a breed with multiple kinds.
Therefore, they may possess a combination of qualities mentioned above. It is better to know their breeds well to know how to start dealing with your dog.
Bear in mind that having a dog with a good personality will lead both of you to happy moments.
So, choose your dog according to your personality. You and your dog should be compatible for better understanding.